…yesterday I finally screwed up my courage and repaired any small damage I found. Looks like I have gourmet moths which prever some colors more than others… I think I can understand them a little bit – who can resist the beautiful wool threads of Renaissance Dyeing?
I started with removing all the thread with which I secured the hem to the back of the embroidery, always looking out for more moth damage and even for more moths…
It seems that keeping it in the freezer at about -20°C was helpful – btw. my next step will be to wash the wallhanging very carefully…
Here I repaired a rather easy damage:
I started with removing the damaged part and pulled the ends to the back:
I sewed the end to the back of the embroidery by using a new black thread which I also used to redo the now missing Stem Stitch embroidery…
…and here another small damage:
…and here a rather bad damage because it involves some sections *sigh*:
…and how the damage looks like at the front:
I removed all embroidery parts which where damaged:
It seems that the moth didn’t like the taste of the green color
…and the repaired embroidery – btw. I embroidered the damaged sections like I would embroider them for a new project.
…and another small damage:
…unfortunately the damage was bigger than it appeared at the first view *sigh*:
…btw. to give you a better idea of the size of the embroidery: